A casino in Enid, Okay???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build an online casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos throughout the state, you almost certainly run into other people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capacity to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have all seen the little digital bingo card with the top corner of the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you're still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a very trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to be within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who utilized to travel outside with the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are set up building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted way for governments to increase funds. It is described as source of money that is easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge about how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour vast amounts into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we read more may not want to manage?